Today we offer a generous helping of dental services for patients of all ages.
Our purpose is to help you:
- Keep your natural teeth
- Improve your appearance
- Promptly manage dental emergencies
To achieve this we offer a wide variety of options. We look forward to working with you and helping you achieve the smile of your dreams (or at least fix that hole that’s bugging you).
For Kids (Those with baby teeth)
Whether your children need dental treatment or you need to bring them along to your own appointment, we welcome children of all ages. The little kids (under 3 years old) get a real kick out of sitting on mom or dad’s lap and watching as their parents get their teeth cleaned. This type of visit helps pediatric patients (children under 3 years old) gain a positive first impression of the dentist. This type of visit helps build a sense of safety in the child’s mind right away.
Common treatments for children include:
- Fillings – We do predominantly white fillings or tooth-colored fillings these days, but occasionally the best thing to do is a silver filling. It’s rare, but it does happen.
- Sealants – Sealants help protect the grooves of permanent teeth before they become stained/infiltrated as a child grows up.
- Cleanings – We do a lot of cleanings for kids. We spend time educating both you and your children on how important prevention and home care is to maintaining good oral health.
- Radiographs – Digital x-rays, or “radiographs,” are important for seeing what can’t be seen by the naked eye. Most cavities are first detectable with these pictures. Dr. Bill follows the American Dental Association’s guidelines regarding how often these are updated.
- Flouride Varnish – Ever wonder why kids these days don’t have the cavities that your parents or you had? Well, fluoride in toothpaste, fluoride in drinking water, and fluoride varnish have a lot to do with it!
- Examinations and coordination of orthodontic referral – With every checkup we complete an exam, talk prevention and education, diet counseling, and refer to orthodontists if needed.
- Emergencies – Like anything in life, even the best plans get foiled sometimes and patients need emergency care. Whether your dental emergency is a toothache, broken tooth, or worse, we can help quickly.
If your child has broken a tooth or the tooth has completely come out, put the tooth in milk and call us right away.
We offer pediatric dental services in addition to the services listed above, but these are the most common. Sometimes we perform treatments called Cvek (partial) pulpotomies or full pulpotomies (for very severely decayed teeth), as well as extractions of baby teeth either due to decay or for orthodontics. We aim to help the patient and make sure the parents know what our recommendations are. We also work closely with parents regarding education and prevention so that they can reinforce the good behaviors (both at home and at the dental office) and help reduce the bad ones.
In dentistry, “adults” includes everybody from adolescents to adults over 100 years old. Because modern dentistry allows people to retain their own teeth much longer, dentures are no longer inevitable for most patients. Factors like prevention and education, the multitude of treatments, excellent dental materials, and new dental technologies all play a role in your capacity to preserve and maintain your teeth for a lifetime.
Common treatments for adults include:
- Cleanings – Most adults receive a cleaning every 6 months with some individuals requiring more frequent cleanings. The frequency depends on your diet as well as your daily dental hygiene habits.
- Radiographs – We are fully digital! Digital x-rays, or “radiographs,” are important for seeing what is undetectable to the naked eye. The earlier we can find cavities, the smaller the filling and the stronger your tooth! Radiographs help us achieve this. Sometimes the cavities we find in dental radiographs are so small that they are reversible with very simple treatments like fluoride varnish. Dr. Bill follows the American Dental Association’s guidelines regarding how often we update radiographs for patients.
- Examinations – With each checkup we conduct an exam, talk prevention/education, and even do diet counseling. We talk about oral conditions of the teeth and gums and what can be done to improve them.
- Emergency Dental Care – Teeth seem to break at the most inopportune moments. Whether a toothache has escalated and become a bother, or you broke a tooth or an old filling, Dr. Bill will be there to take care of you and get you back to a point where you are comfortable and can smile with confidence.
- Tooth Whitening – We offer customized options to help you achieve a brighter smile. If you want your teeth white fast, we offer BOOST ™ whitening (1.5 hour appointment), but we also offer traditional tray whitening that you can take home with you.
- Fillings – We do predominantly white fillings or tooth-colored fillings, but occasionally the best thing to do is a silver filling. It’s rare but it does happen.
- Crowns and Bridges – You’ve probably heard of these as “caps.” When a tooth is badly broken down, missing a cusp, or has a cusp fracture, the tooth often needs a crown. A bridge fills a space left over from a missing tooth. In most cases we can strengthen your tooth or teeth with CEREC crowns or same-day crowns. We mill out the crowns from digital scans of your teeth right in the building.
- Veneers – Veneers are thin porcelain shells that fit over top of the teeth to improve the aesthetics of patients’ smiles and masking tooth discolorations. We regularly apply veneers.
- Invisible Orthodontics – You may have heard of Six Month Smiles or Invisalign. We use a variety of orthodontic technologies like clear aligners and clear braces to move your teeth to a cosmetically improved position. Most of the time, we can correct crooked teeth without referring you to an orthodontist.
- Partial Dentures and Full Dentures – Dr. Bill can build you traditional prostheses or an implant (retained prostheses). The implant retained dentures and partials snap in like buttons snap together. It is important to understand that dentures or partials do not replace teeth–they replace no teeth! This is a big distinction. Implant retained partials and dentures are much closer to feeling like natural teeth.
- Extractions – Unfortunately sometimes a tooth or teeth need to be removed.
- Bone Grafting – Bone grafting typically occurs when a tooth is removed and we plan on using dental implants to restore the missing tooth.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants help solve challenging dental problems that provide long-lasting solutions and feel just like natural teeth. Truly amazing.
- Root Canal Therapy – Yep, Dr. Bill does them! Please let us take care of things before they really start to hurt.
- Periodontal Gum Disease Treatment – Gum disease worse than gingivitis occurs in approximately 10-20% of all Americans. The NHANES survey, a very large 2010 study, noted perio disease incidence of 36% for adults! Should you be diagnosed with perio problems, we will educate you on causes, treatment options, and preventing worsening conditions.
- CEREC dental – Cerec technology allows dentists to restore a patient’s tooth in the office in a single visit. Dentists use CEREC scanners and mills to design and create a strong yet beautiful crown that can fit over a broken or problematic tooth.
This list is not exhaustive, but this gives you a sample of the many services offered at DurhamDDS.