Today we offer a generous helping of dental services for patients of all ages.
Our purpose is to help you:
- Keep your natural teeth
- Improve your appearance
- Prevent dental emergencies
To achieve this we offer a LOT of different options. We look forward to working with you and help you achieve the smile of your dreams (or just fix that hole that’s bugging you.)
We treat children of all ages and welcome when parents to bring their young children with them for their cleaning appointment. The little kids (under 3 years old) get a real kick out of sitting on mom or dad’s lap and watching as their parents get their teeth cleaned. This type of visit helps pediatric patients (children under 3 years old) gain a positive first impression of the dentist. This type of visit helps build a sense of safety in the child’s mind right away.
Common treatments for children include:
- Fillings – We predominantly do white fillings or tooth-colored fillings these days, but occasionally the best thing to do is a silver filling. It’s rare but it does happen.
- Sealants – Sealants help protect the grooves of permanent teeth before they become stained/infiltrated as a child grows up.
- Cleanings – We do a lot of cleanings for kids. We spend time educating both you and your children on how important prevention and home care is to maintaining sound oral health.
- Radiographs – Digital x-rays or ‘radiographs’ are important for seeing what can’t be seen by the naked eye. Most cavities are first detectible with these pictures. Dr. Bill follows the American Dental Association’s guidelines regarding how often these are updated.
- Flouride Varnish – Ever wonder why kids these days don’t have the cavities that your parents or you had? Well fluoride in toothpaste, fluoride in drinking water, and fluoride varnish have a lot to do with it!
- Examinations and coordination of orthodontic referral. – With every checkup we complete an exam, talk prevention and education, diet counseling, and refer to orthodontists if needed.
- Emergencies – Like anything in life, even the best plans get foiled sometimes and patients need emergency care. Whether your dental emergency is a toothache, broken tooth or worse, we can help and help fast.
If your child has broken a tooth or the tooth has completely come out, put the tooth in milk and call us right away.
We do more for pediatric dental patients than the services listed above but these are the most common. Sometimes we perform treatments called Cvek or full pulpotomies (for very severely decayed teeth), as well as extractions of baby teeth either due to decay or for orthodontics. No matter what we do we aim to help the patient and make sure the parents know what our recommendations are. We also work closely with parents regarding education and prevention; this way they can reinforce the good behaviors (both at home and at the dental office) and help reduce the bad ones.
Adults include everybody from adolescents (12-18 years old) to folks over 100 year olds! Modern dentistry allows people to retain and keep their own teeth much longer. Dentures are no longer inevitable for most patients. Prevention and education, the multitude of treatments, excellent dental materials, and new dental technologies all play a role in our capacity to preserve and maintain your teeth for a lifetime.
Common treatments for adults include:
- Cleanings– Most adults receive a cleaning every 6 months with some individuals requiring more frequent cleanings. The frequency depends on your daily habits of taking care of your teeth as well as your diet.
- Radiographs – We are fully digital! Digital x-rays or ‘radiographs’ are important for seeing what we can’t see with the naked eye. The earlier we can find cavities, the smaller the filling and the stronger your tooth! Radiographs help us achieve this. Sometimes cavities we find in dental radiographs are so small they are reversible with very simple treatments like fluoride varnish. Dr. Bill follows the American Dental Association’s guidelines regarding how often we update radiographs for patients.
- Examinations – With every checkup we conduct an exam, talk prevention / education and even diet counseling. We talk about oral conditions of the teeth and gums and what can be done to improve them.
- Emergency Dental Care – Teeth seem to break at the most inopportune moments. Whether a toothache has escalated and become a bother, or you broke a tooth or an old filling, Dr. Bill will be there to take care of you and get you back to a point where you are comfortable and can smile with confidence.
- Tooth Whitening – We offer customized options to help you achieve a brighter smile. If you want your teeth white FAST, we offer BOOST ™ whitening (1.5 hour appointment), but we also offer traditional tray-whitening that you take home with you.
- Fillings – We predominantly do white fillings or tooth-colored fillings, but occasionally the best thing to do is a silver filling. It’s rare but it does happen.
- Crowns and Bridges – You’ve probably heard of these as ‘caps’. When a tooth is badly broken down or broken (missing cusp or a cusp fracture), the tooth oftentimes needs a crown. A ‘bridge’ is for filling a space left over from the now missing tooth.
- Veneers – Porcelain veneers do a wonderful job of masking tooth discolorations. We do veneers regularly. Veneers are thin porcelain shells that fit over top of the teeth to improve the esthetics of patient smiles.
- Invisible Orthodontics – You may have heard of “Six Month Smiles” or “Invisalign”. We use a variety of orthodontic technologies like clear aligners and clear braces to move your teeth to a cosmetically improved position. We can correct crooked teeth most of the time without referring you to an orthodontist.
- Partial Dentures and Full Dentures – Dr. Bill can build you traditional prostheses or an implant – retained prostheses. The implant retained dentures and partials snap in like buttons snap together. It is important to understand that dentures or partials do not replace teeth; they replace no teeth! This is a big distinction. Implant retained partials and dentures are much closer to feeling like natural teeth.
- Extractions – Unfortunately sometimes a tooth or teeth need to be removed.
- Bone grafting – Bone grafting typically occurs when a tooth is removed and we plan on using dental implants to restore the missing tooth.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants help solve challenging dental problems that provide long lasting solutions and feel just like natural teeth. Truly amazing.
- Root Canal Therapy – Yep, Dr. Bill does them! Please let us take care of things before they really start to hurt.
- Periodontal Gum Disease Treatment – Gum disease worse than gingivitis occurs in approximately 10-20% of all Americans. A very large 2010 study called the NHANES survey noted perio disease incidence of 36% for adults! Should you be diagnosed with perio problems, we will educate you as to why you have it and we will help you understand options for treatment and how to stop it from worsening.
As with kids, we do much more than what is on this list, but this gives you an idea of the many services offered at DurhamDDS.